Friday, May 13, 2016

Virginia Korte: 🎓Education and Economic Development Create the Cornerstone of Our Community


For those of you who have followed my involvement in our community for the past 30 years, you know about my long-time commitment to education.  You are also aware of my interest in the revitalization of Southern Scottsdale where my family has deep roots for over 40 years.

Education and Southern Scottsdale are the topics of today’s email.

Scottsdale Gateway Alliance, an organization with which I have been affiliated for several years, has discovered some insightful data about Southern Scottsdale residents.  Approximately 2,000 people have taken part in the SGA survey during the past several months.

The survey found that 42% of the respondents have lived in Southern Scottsdale five or less years.  In addition, 57% of them have children enrolled in elementary schools.  From my perspective, the survey indicates that those of us working to revitalize this great area of our city also need to help ensure that our schools are providing students with the resources and opportunities to succeed.

I have committed years of time and effort to many “Yes to Children” campaigns to enrich our Scottsdale Unified School District’s programs and campuses.  In 2007 and 2014 I had the privilege of serving as the Honorary Chair of the “Yes To Children” campaigns; both were successful in passing the SUSD’s budget override proposals.  I will be supporting this group’s future endeavors to improve our schools and offer our students the best possible education.

I believe that building a strong education system and encouraging more economic development work together to create the cornerstone of the Southern Scottsdale community.

 PS:  Feel free to share my email with your friends and neighbors.  And please contribute to my campaign – it’s easy, simply click the “donate” button above and go directly to my secured website.