Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mayor Scott Smith Letter to Arizona Business Leaders on H.B.1062

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Scott Smith for Governor 2014
Dear Arizona Business Leaders,
As a fourth-generation Arizonan, I know this state is the land of opportunity. Our state, under the leadership of Governor Brewer, is on the cusp of a remarkable economic turnaround.  Arizona's economy is poised to become one of the fastest growing in the nation.  

We have attracted significant new investments, such as Apple in Mesa. For the first time since the start of the Great Recession, Arizona's outlook is bright.

Unfortunately, the intense national debate over SB1062 threatens to derail the economic momentum we have worked so hard to create.  This unnecessary legislation could have unintended consequences that will further divide this state and harm our still-fragile economic recovery.
When I first read SB1062, 

I instinctively knew it would be bad for Arizona. As President of the US Conference of Mayors, I had the honor of hosting 45 large city mayors from around the country last weekend for a leadership meeting.  

Many of these mayors came from cities that had enacted travel bans against Arizona after SB1070 was enacted.  I worked with them for years dispelling bad perceptions about our state, and they all decided to come to Arizona.  They gave us a chance to shine.  Then came SB1062.  I learned first hand and in real time how leaders from outside Arizona – many of them fellow Republicans – view Arizona and how damaging this bill is to our reputation. They were brutally honest and straightforward.

On Friday, I became the first Republican candidate for Governor to speak out in opposition to this bill. SB1062 is wrong for Arizona and it is wrong for our business community.  I commit to you that as Governor I will lead, not simply talk.  I will focus on and fight for real issues that have real consequences to Arizonans.  Jobs. Education Excellence. Creating opportunity. Building a Better Arizona.  I’ve done it as a mayor, and I will do it as your Governor.   
Sincerely,