Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Our IRS Nightmare

Scott Smith for Governor 2014
As the chief executive of a thriving business for decades and a certified public accountant, I can tell you which day I like the least each year:

April 15th. Tax day.

Like many Americans, my wife Kim and I suffered through an Internal Revenue Service nightmare of our own – a computer glitch that mistakenly hit us with a tax lien for $16,000, though we didn't owe a penny in taxes. What followed was months of pure hell, letter after letter, call after call, to explain a problem we had done nothing to create. Fortunately, I had the professional training, a law degree and the resources to prevail. After a year of battle to preserve my professional reputation and credit rating, I finally received an apology from the IRS for their "improvident filing" of a lien.

Righting wrongs, creating a better climate for job creation and slashing bureaucracy have been the hallmarks of my career as an elected leader. Those same bedrock beliefs will guide my campaign for the Republican nomination as Arizona's next Governor.

This April 15th, you have my commitment: As Arizona's next Governor, I will do everything in my power to simplify our state and municipal tax codes, reduce the burden of taxation and join my fellow Republican Governors to help rein in the out-of-control IRS.

Taxes and the process of taxation must stop being punitive – so that April 15th stops feeling like a black mark against our freedom.

I hope I can count on your help in this fight – and in the race for the Republican nomination. Learn more about my campaign today at http://votescottsmith.com/.

Yours truly,

Scott