Thursday, August 21, 2014

Government Isn’t the Solution to Our Problems. We Are.


Another important lesson my parents taught me is that we shouldn’t look to government to solve many of our community’s problems.  We should pitch in together and solve our own problems. 

Yes, as Mayor of Tempe, I worked to limit government activity, but I didn’t want to leave holes in our community services.  Instead, I looked for ways to bring community members together to solve the problems government can’t address very well.

So, for example, we invited all the faith-community organizations in Tempe together under an umbrella called “For Our City.”  From that beginning a homeless outreach program, called IHELP (Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program) developed, involving dozens of churches, synagogues and mosques.  Through 30+ faith-congregations, IHELP provides shelter, food, showers, and laundry services, and brings homeless people together with service providers.  Every day of the year.

Habitat for Humanity, which I served for ten years, helps people earn a home.  Potential homeowners spend hundreds of hours building their own home with volunteers from around the community.  Then the homeowners still have to buy their home, albeit on a no-interest loan.  In working to build their own home, people learn the skills to take care of it and have real pride of ownership.  In my ten years with Habitat, we ran our chapter as an “all volunteer” organization, and we coordinated the work of thousands of volunteers.  We built houses, yes, but we also wove a tighter community fabric.

Fundraising is a big need if you want to support charitable work.  As Mayor, I had a unique opportunity to shine the spotlight on charities to build their grass-roots support.  It often meant doing some unusual things to attract the attention of those who could help spread the word.

I swam many times in competitive events in the chilly water of Tempe’s Town Lake.  I learned how to run, and then taught more than 1,200 people how to run ½ marathons.  Together we raised more than $1.3 million for Arizona charities.  I also created the Mayor’s Charity Challenge, and challenged members of the media to help raise money for charities by competing in a mini Ironman.

I performed a “soft shoe” dance routine with a former Supreme Court Justice to raise money to preserve her historic home.

And even during the heat of this campaign, I took time out to choreograph and perform to “Blue Suede Shoes” and raised thousands of dollars for Arizona’s Chapter of the National Kidney Foundation.

The most moving perhaps, was raising the funds for Tempe’s Healing Field.  It honors all the people who were killed in the United States on September 11, 2001.  I invite you to visit the Field in Tempe Beach Park this year.

So that means there are lots of videos and pictures of me out there, some moving and many embarrassing.  But also, it points out that I do my best to live my family’s values.  Republicans call on each of us to take personal responsibility.  I do my best to fulfill that responsibility.

So, in one more effort, I have been “called out” by my brother to complete an Ice Bucket Challenge to support research for ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.  For more information about ALS, go to www.ALSA.org.

Here is my completion of that challenge and, in turn, I am calling out Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery, CBS5 Newscaster Catherine Anaya and former Congressman Barry Goldwater, Jr.  Each have long supported our community's charities and causes.  They have twenty four hours to perform their own act of charity.  I know each of them will.

Thank you for your consideration.
Hugh Hallman
Republican Candidate for Arizona State Treasurer

For more information on Hugh's campaign, visit www.HughHallman.com
Maricopa County Republicans Has NOT received any monies to post this information,it is a courtesy post.